Did you know that we source our Berries from Australia wherever possible? In fact, our Strawberries are 100% fresh and Australian with each and every one hand picked and hand graded.
Everyone loves Strawberries, but what do we really know about them? Apart from the fact that they taste so lovely!!!
There is a legend that strawberries were named in the nineteenth-century by English children. These little tykes would pick the fruit, string them on grass straws and sell them as “Straws of berries”.
Another theory is the name was derived from the nineteenth-century practice (which is still used today) of placing straw around the growing berry plants to protect the ripening fruit.
However, the most widely held and most likely view, is that the name Strawberry was derived from the berries that are “strewn” about on the plants, and the name “strewn berry” eventually morphed into “Strawberry”.
Healthy Tips and Nutritional Facts
- Eight medium-sized strawberries contain 140% of the U.S. RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of Vitamin C – So for example, a strawberry tart, which has an average of three strawberries per tart, would give you 50% of your RDA of Vitamin C
- Strawberries are low in calories: one cup of unsweetened strawberries has only 55 calories.
- In addition, strawberries are good sources of folic acid, potassium and fiber. Strawberries are also fat-free and low in calories.
- If you’re expecting a baby, you’ll be very interested in some of the new discoveries about folic acid. In fact, 8 strawberries have 20% of the folic acid you need every day – Folic acid is essential in the development of the foetus in the early stages of pregnancy..
- Fresh juice from sieved strawberry pulp has a cooling effect on feverish patients. For a cooling and purifying drink, either pour water on crushed berries or chop the berries roughly and whirl in a blender with a little water.
- As part of the 5-a-day program suggested by the American Cancer Institute, strawberries can also play a part in helping you to reduce the risk of cancer or heart disease.
- Strawberry juice combined with honey will reduce inflammation or sunburn. Rub the mixture thoroughly into the skin before rinsing off with warm water and lemon juice.