Shocking as it may seem, some people don’t finish off all of their cupcakes after a party. Or perhaps their is still half of the Banana Bread you bought to share with the family leftover from the weekend.
It’s hard work using up all the food we have leftover from parties, but don’t despair, we don’t like to waste food either! Here’s some creative ways to take your cupcake and banana bread leftovers and create something that will blow your socks off!
Here’s a great way to use up any leftover cupcakes. This take on a classic bread pudding uses left over cake or cupcakes and creates a piece of magic called the Cupcake
It’s not as difficult as it may sound, It’s probably one of the easiest things to bake and there is no way you can go wrong with these. So here is how you do it
Serves: about 5 people
- 8-10 leftover cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ½ cups milk, preferably whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream (you could just use milk if you don’t have heavy cream and in that case you should use 11/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup sugar (if you are using stale bread you may want to put about ¾ cups of sugar, I used cupcakes which already had sugar in them so I just needed enough sugar to sweeten the custard)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- a handful of chopped walnuts
- a handful of chocolate chips (optional)
How to make your Cupcake Pudding
- Butter and grease a 6.5X8.5 inch pyrex glass baking dish (height- 2.5 inches) and set aside. You could use a regular 8×8 inch baking dish or even a bread loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add the melted butter, milk, cream, eggs, egg yolk, sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk by hand until they all come together.
- In your baking dish lay down big chunks of left over cake or cubed stale bread covering the entire base of the baking dish.
- Add some chopped walnuts or pecans and chocochips over the cake/ bread layer. If you are using bread you may choose to put another layer of bread over the chopped nuts. Cake becomes a bit dense after sitting in the fridge so I didn’t put a double layer.
- Pour the eggs and milk mixture over the cake/ bread base until the cake/ bread is completely soaked with this mixture. Add some more chopped nuts over this. Do make sure to add some nuts (just any nuts) to give your cake/ bread pudding that crunch and texture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or even overnight if you have the time.
- Preheat the oven at 325 degrees F. While the oven is preheating you may want to take out your baking dish out of the refrigerator to bring it to room temperature.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the top has browned a bit and a toothpick comes out clean.
Your super delectable cupcake/ bread pudding is ready to be sliced and had! You could of course make a vanilla sauce/ maple syrup/ honey to drizzle over it or even better make a whiskey sauce or just dust some powdered sugar
With thanks to www.confusedbawarchis.com
On the off chance that you MIGHT have some banana bread left this is a recipe that we recommend trying
This decadent breakfast treat is great way to start the day. It’s so delicious you’ll find yourself buying a banana cake every week!
- Banana Bread
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Butter for the pan
How to make your Banana Bread French Toast
- Slice your Banana Bread to desired thickness.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, cream and cinnamon, whisking until combined.
- Heat a large frying pan or griddle over medium heat and brush with butter.
- Dip each slice of Banana Bread into the egg mixture for about 30 seconds to coat completely, then place on the buttered surface.
- Cook until golden and somewhat crispy, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve with sliced bananas, fresh whipped cream & some honey
Thanks to howsweeteats.com for the inspiration