Winter is upon us and we find ourselves spending more and more time wrapped up warm with a lovely pie, some wine and some delicious side dishes to go with them.
Here’s a few suggestions for some sweet side dishes that will go brilliantly with some of our very best pies! This is our Sweet Potato side dish special!
Apple Cider Glazed Sweet Potato
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. spiced apple cider
What’s the plan for cooking
- Preheat your oven to 280 degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil in a nice high baking tray.
- Season with salt and pepper – Always a good thing!
- Bake for about 25 minutes, but make sure you shake things up halfway through cooking.
- While potatoes are roasting, heat apple cider in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Bring the apple cider to a boil and cook until it’s reduced to about 2 tablespoons – This should take about 12 minutes.
- Drizzle sweet potatoes with apple cider reduction; toss to coat. Bake 5 minutes more until they are perfectly glazed and ready to serve.
Serve immediately to the family with a Beef Pie
Roasted Parmesan Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes – Peeled & Cubed
- 2 Large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried Thyme
What do you need to do next?
- Make sure you preheat your oven to 280 degrees and pop your oven rack into the middle.
- Line a large baking tray with some aluminium foil
- Place your cubed sweet potatoes, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan and dried thyme into a bowl
- Mix up the ingredients evenly so that all of the sweet potatoes are covered
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to the prepared baking sheet and spread out the potatoes so that they are on a single layer
- Roast in the oven for around 40 minutes, OR until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a sharp knife.
- Set the oven to grill and brown the tops of the sweet potatoes for around 8-10 minutes. Make sure you do keep an eye on the tops of the potatoes at this time, as you don’t want them to burn and spoil your hard work.
Serve immediately with a Beef Pie for a really flavoursome dinner
Chunky Chicken & Portobello Mushroom Pie
To celebrate the season of slow cooked, wintry goodness we’d like to introduce our Chicken & Portobello Mushroom pie – The Chicken & Portobello Mushroom pie is packed with free range chicken breast, slow cooked with freshly picked Portobello Mushrooms in a creamy white wine and pepper sauce, topped with a light & fluffy pastry and baked until golden.